Our Kitchen

I love to cook, I love to cook even more when I don’t have 2 little munchkins running around underneath my feet pulling all the pots and pans out, but they keep me on my toes!  So when planning our kitchen I wanted it to be practical and work well for our family but mostly I wanted it to be pretty, of course…

I love the open shelving look and it is pretty functional for our family being able to grab a glass right off the shelf.  There are some “pretty pieces” that are just for show but for the most part all our everyday plates and bowls are stuck up there.

I made the Eat sign on a piece of scrap wood I found in our garage (full disclosure this sign just fell down yesterday, so much for 3M strips!)

Our counter tops are Silestone (which is a quartz), I should have taken a better photo of them but they are white with a grey marbling running through them.  I REALLY REALLY (REALLY) wanted marble in our kitchen (although I did sneak it into our master bath, stay tuned for that post!) but there was no way the Mr. was signing off on that one after hearing how easily it stains.

So this was the best option for us, it is totally stain proof, scratch proof and never has to be sealed like granite and marble.  Not quite as amazing as marble would have been but it gives me the white on white look I wanted.

I also wanted a big island, and this is where we eat dinner every night, so much easier than a wiping down a table all the time.  If I could change one thing I would make it all one height so crumbs would be easier to sweep up but you live and learn!

These cabinets are a result of “the evilness of Pinterest” as the Mr. calls it! If you are lucky like me and have 9 ft ceiling these babies are actually not that expensive to add to the top of your existing cabinets.  And so after living here for 1 year we “remodeled” (just a tweak really) the kitchen and added these cabinets on the top.  I love them!  They somehow made our whole kitchen seem bigger.

Thanks for stopping :)

I am in LOOOOOVE. Was that over the top? Maybe. But seriously, swooning!! Thanks for sharing your talent and decor!! And thanks to {Ella Claire} for sharing you with us!!

Your kitchen is beautiful! The simple colors make it very soothing to the eye. You did a wonderful job designing your home! Found your blog thru Stone Gables Tutorials Tips and Tidbits. Newest follower from Catherine Elizabeth Creations. Feel free to stop by to say hello :)

I had to chuckle about your counter and how you said you wished that you had made it all one height because it was hard to wipe up the crumbs. I have a pretty large counter island and have ALWAYS wished we had made it two heights to break up the space a little bit instead of having one huge paper-pile attracting counter. Maybe now I won’t wish for it so much. Maybe only just a little. :)

love all that white! your kitchen is a beauty. i think it’s great that you like to cook AND you have a beautiful kitchen…. i’m just going for a pretty kitchen and i think my husband is hoping it will magically improve my cooking skills :)

Please share with us where you got your fan above your stove. Also, how did you make your “Eat” sign? Love your whole kitchen so much. I am changing my outdated oak cabinets, a dark kitchen, with all white kitchen also. The only color, and a focal point is my red hutch that my husband has redone. I love it. Thanks for all of your help.

Hey Susan, I’m sorry I don’t know! We didn’t paint them we just bought them from a cabinet company – the color doesn’t say anything more than just white. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful :)

6. Pam Lerczak says

I love your home! I also love Pottery Barn & I think your home is a page right out of the catalog! Can I ask what lake you live on? We also live on a lake in NC & lake living doesn’t get much better:) I will be following your blog from now on!

7. Mandy says

I was wondering where you got your kitchen rug….it would go perfect in my kitchen!!! Also, what is the fabulous blue color on your walls that ties your living room in with your white kitchen? It is so refreshing…..I have to have it :)

8. Karen says

Lovely home! We are redoing out kitchen. I saw you on Hometalk. I almost didn’t click on your post because I thought your kitchen looked so much bigger than ours, but I’m glad I did! You have a very similar setup as our home. We are thinking of taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room. We would put in an island with eating counter since we have no dining room. Your kitchen turned out beautifully and I love those cool tones with a little warmth in them. Your blue is just that. Would love to know what paint color that is. Again, congratulations on a job well done!

In this photo it’s Santorini Blue but if you check out some more of my recent posts it’s now painted Brittany Blue, just a shade up on the paint chip :)

Hi Kelly, I found your blog through a Dear Lillie fb post and had to stop by. Your Home is absolutely stunning. I just had my kitchen remodeled and went with all white. We love the way white is so crisp and clean, it make our family feel calm. We are still have to finish our back splash, but we are undecided on which white subway tile and grout we want to use. I love your back splash and would love to know the brand of the subway tiles and brand and color of the grout you used in your kitchen.

Thank you for sharing your home with us. Have Wonderful Day!

If you check my FAQ questions page, can find the tab in the upper right corner of my blog, it shares all the exact info about the flooring! Thanks!