Ok so some of you may be “all huh? What is farro?” Well that’s what my kids said anyways…
Farro is so delicious, if you have never had it, you are missing out! It’s a grain sort of like quinoa and it is a great source of fiber and protein with a bit of a nutty flavor to it. Pair that with all the sauteed veggies in this Italian Farro Salad and you have a super healthy side dish for your next meal.
The Mr. and I went to a party where they were serving a farro salad and we both thought it was amazing. I wanted to try to recreate it at home and while my version is a bit different it is totally a winner.
We had friends coming over for dinner, so I made this ahead of time and served it at room temperature, but it is just as delicious hot right off the stove.
Pretty simple to make, super healthy and so delicious! I paired this with my Spicy Pork Tenderloin and some grilled bread and it was the perfect end of summer meal.
Now if I could just convince my kids how yummy it is…
- 10 ounces rinsed farro
- 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- 1 package of button mushrooms, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ¾ cup of shredded parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring farro, water and bouillon to a boil. Reduce to medium heat, cover and let simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile sautee garlic, italian seasoning, tomatoes, mushrooms, and zucchini until tender about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine cooked farro and vegetables in a bowl.
- Add fresh basil, parmesan, and more salt and pepper.
- Can be served hot or room temperature.