It’s been a bit since I’ve posted a recipe, and I miss it! Normally I find a lot of recipe inspiration from traveling and dining out. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened in a while. Sunday has become a big clean out the fridge day. We used to attend church and brunch, but now our tradition is online church, a big afternoon snack, followed by game night. This has quickly become my kid’s favorite meal of the week. I make a huge cheese plate, veggie and fruit platter, and then take every leftover in the fridge and throw it on a crostini. My kids normally avoid leftovers at all costs, but for some reason, if I put it on toasted bread it’s a whole new meal in their mind. This recipe was born from a few leftover peppers hiding in the veggie drawer, and half a container of herbed cheese spread. It’s now a new fave Sunday afternoon staple!
Herbed Cheese and Roasted Pepper Crostini
This recipe could not be easier. It’s also a great one to make ahead for entertaining. You can saute the peppers ahead of time, and assemble them whenever you are ready to eat.
Sauteed sweet peppers, garlic, fresh basil, and creamy herbed cheese are a delicious combo. Drizzle it with balsamic vinegar reduction and it really takes it over the top. You can absolutely make your own balsamic reduction by cooking it down until it reduces. Or you can make it super easy and buy a bottle of balsamic glaze which they carry in specialty shops, and even most grocery stores too.
A few other “leftover crostini” ideas I like to make are –
Leftover steak, sauteed onions, and horseradish mayo
Leftover chicken diced with bbq sauce and provolone
Fig jam, goat cheese, and almonds
Marinara and mozzarella
Hummus and tapenade
Almond butter, sliced strawberries, and honey (my son’s personal fave)
The options are endless!
- 1 loaf Ciabatta or French baguette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 diced red or yellow sweet peppers
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅛ c of balsamic vinegar
- 3 ounces herbed cheese spread such as Boursin or goat cheese
- Chopped Basil
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Glaze or reduced Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Thinly slice ciabatta or baguette and place on a cookie sheet.
- Toast for 5-10 minutes until desired crunchiness.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium/high heat.
- Saute peppers 5-10 minutes until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and balsamic vinegar. Cook 2-3 minutes more until vinegar cooks down.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove the toasted bread from the oven and spread with Boursin or herbed goat cheese.
- Top with sauteed peppers.
- Top with chopped basil.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over top.
This Herbed Cheese and Roasted Pepper Crostini is the perfect appetizer for the holidays or just a Sunday afternoon!