Christmas Mantel

Hi everyone!  I’m so ready for the weekend, but I thought I would quick share my Christmas mantel with you all.

I made a fun sign for my mantel this year.  With all my indoor decor I have been going for a more natural rustic feel.

nature christmas mantel

I wanted a snowy log cabin look for this sign.  I couldn’t find any old wood for this one, so I bought 3 boards from Lowe’s and had them cut down for me.  (If you bat your eyelashes and look extremely helpless they will usually do it at no charge…or you can go the screaming kid route…trust me, they will be soooo happy to get you out of the store :) )

I stained the boards dark walnut and then hand painted the sign in white.  It looked a little too clean, so I took a tooth brush and splattered white paint all over for a snowy affect.  I also dry brushed some areas with white paint.  Then I sanded the whole thing down.  It looks a little cabinesque cabiny cabinish like a log cabin…I think…

(hello! If I realized I was going to show up in the ornament shots I would have at least brushed my hair, ha!)

Remember my little “Love You More” sign, now it’s a pillow.  My ever talented mother knit my brown throw.

Close up on my brilliant sewing skills – I was going for a, ummm, handmade look?

My Christmas Candles are on either side of my fireplace on my bookshelves.  They look so pretty at night all lit up.

I made these burlap stockings last Christmas and I still love them.  I got the inspiration for them from Cottage Instincts, but there are a zillion beautiful burlap stocking ideas on Pinterest!

Clearly, sewing is not my forte, so these were mostly made with hot glue and burnt fingertips  :)

I stole the wood from my brother’s stock pile (I’m pretty sure he would never read my blog, so I think I’m safe) although clearly we have a gas fireplace, but just roll with it ok? :)

Now, I just need to get going on my Christmas shopping so I have something to fill those stockings with…

Who am I kidding?

If I put anything in them they will totally fall apart, I really gotta work on the sewing thing…

How’s your shopping going?

1. Anonymous says

Thanks for posting! The sign has could go in so many directions depending on personal design preference. Anything from your log cabin look to cottage, floral or chic. Thanks for the inspiration and have a great holiday. BTW…I think you’re incredibly talented!

I LOVE your sign and got a laugh at the wood by your gas fire! But isn’t gas SO much less messy than a real wood fire? The stockings are cute, every post I see people have matching stockings. Ours were made one at a time as the family grew and they do not match. With the last kid about to leave the next maybe I’ll get matching ones for just the two of us next year.

Gorgeous and I might have to copy you and put some real logs next to our gas fireplace. Sometimes it just has to be about the aesthetics and not the function!

Amazing! I’ve always wanted a mantle and now that I have one I’ve found it’s the hardest area for me to decorate. I love this look and the fullness of the mantle. The sign is perfect!

Hi Kelly,

I’m new to your blog – discovered you through a linky party. Your mantle and decorations are so pretty – simple and natural, which is my personal favorite style of decorating. I like the bling too but natural is so beautiful.

I love the sign you made and I just might copy your idea on a smaller scale, since I have a piece of framed art over my mantle that stays up all the time. (love your sense of humor the best!)

Kelly, just love your beautiful mantel. Your sign turned out great but the really treasure in the post for me was the “Love you more” pillow which is what I always say to my kids. If you happen to see that tea towel again please let me know. Love your blog, and your humor! Have a great day.

Love, Love, Love, Love – I vote this the best of the season, I know I have only seen a few – but I am not sure anything will be beat this. You are truly talented!

Take care, Laura

Hot glue and burnt fingertips…oh how I know the feeling. Your sign is wonderful and all your touches whisper a warm welcome. I’m your newest follower. I found you through Cowgirl up at Cedar Hill Ranch. Hope you’ll stop over at Quirky Vistas and follow too if you like!

Gorgeous!! I love the natural textures throughout this room – it looks so cozy and inviting. Your sign turned out so beautifully! I found you via Cowgirl Up link party at Crafty Texas Girls. I am now following your blog! Hope you’ll visit The Bean Sprout Notes and take a look around

10. Peggy says

Came across your blog through Laura at Finding Home. Love your new home, beautiful decorating ideas and sense of humor. I will be adding Lily Pad to by blog reads! Happy Hoidays

11. Abi says

Love everything about your mantel!! Especially all the wood elements! And that’s a neat idea for personalized stockings!

Oh, Kelly your sign is fabulous! What a wonderful display on your mantle. I am a new follower,now and wishing you Happy Holiday’s!

I just love your sign. We host the soup stop on our street’s progressive dinner on New Year’s Eve. I am going to use your sign for inspiration for my mantel.

Merry Christmas

This is my favorite mantel thus far as I said before. I love your honest humor and sincerity too. Nice to have met you here – will be following you :o)
    Thanks for linking up to the Christmas mantel party – so happy you did!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

15. Kimberly says

My son was sitting by me on the plane today on our way to grandmas for Christmas and saw the pillow. He really wants to get it for my mom as this is what they saw to each other on the phone all the time. PLEASE can you tell me how I can get one.

I can’t even say how much I adore this! I love every little detail about it. The wood sign is so lovely. You did such a great job! I’ve been looking around your blog and pinning like crazy, haha. Thanks for the inspiration!

This is one of the most beautiful mantels I have seen this season! I love all the natural, calm elements used. The stockings are one of my favorite elements, but the big board and twine ornament are close seconds!!! And I just like your fireplace in general. Those look like glass tiles, which I absolutely adore! Don’t worry…we can’t see your uncombed hair in the ornaments! :-)

18. Kristin says

I love your sign and mantel! How did you attach the boards to one another? There is probably an easy answer but u can just not think if it right now. What size boards did you use and did you freehand the letters? Thanks!

Hey Kristin – I used 2 thinner pieces of wood and nailed them across the back does that make sense? Eek I don’t know how big the board are, I haven’t hauled this up out of the basement yet this year. I’m gonna guess maybe 8 – 10 inches wide and 3 ft long? I did freehand the letters but here is the best tip write it all out in chalk first then add the paint. The chalk will wipe right off with a wet rag if you mess up :)

19. Dee Brown says

If for any reason you are at all considering selling your beautiful sign I would be very much interested…please let me know… and I sincerely hope I have not insulted you by asking. No matter what, you have been blessed with enormous talent! Wishes to you and your family for a very Merry Christmas.

Hey Dee! I have had lots of people wanting to buy these, but the shipping is crazy expensive because it is so heavy. Maybe you can find someone crafty who can help you make one? Sorry I wish I could send you all one :)

20. Dee Brown says

If you ever consider selling your sign please let me know. You are so blessed with talent. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

21. Kate says

I just bought this EXACT sign at Homesense for $16.99 Canadian….it isn’t as big but its the same to the lettering and design.

I love the way you see beauty in natural things to use to decorate.low cast and clean and easy to store or just leave out, I recently purchased a cottage , it was nt state of the art but i am slowly turning it and having fun doing so, i am using yoru design or close to it to decorate for Christmas this year because my daughter had most of it left over from her wedding , and i thought it would be neat, then i can give it to her after CHristmas to remember her wonderful wedding days, thank you for taking the time to share this is is so REAL!
    My Cottage is called Moss Creek. i got it at a steal for 35 thousand i wrote a letter to the guy that owned it and him and his wife let me have it, he built it up right and managed it , the front porch is what sold it for me taking the little cottage from a jungle state and turning it around into an adorable little red cottage

23. Donna Listi says

Hi. What is the font you used for your lettering? I see you used two different styles of lettering. Are they freehand are did you use a particular font. If so, would you please comment as to which ones you used. p.s.: Your home is just lovely. Very beautiful and peaceful. Thanks for sharing. Donna

1. […] 1. Rustic Christmas Sign – I got a lot of questions about how to make this or if I sell them.  Unfortunately the shipping on this thing would be over $100 it is so heavy, but you can make your own really!  Here is an easy tip, use chalk first to sketch up your whole design.  Get it just right before starting in with the paint.  The chalk will wipe off easily with a wet rag if you goof up. […]

2. […] A reclaimed wood- and burlap-centered mantel is a fun contrast to the otherwise modern fireplace. If you go this route, provide depth with some great-smelling pine boughs and other bits from nature, like pinecones. And whatever you choose, don’t forget the white twinkle lights for a magical touch.{found on thelilypadcottage}. […]