This caramel apple cake is the perfect fall dessert.
I love, LOVE caramel apples so I thought why not try to make one into a cake? I experimented in the kitchen a little with this one, and it paid off! So much so that I got to forgo making dinner…since, you know, we ate the whole cake hot out of the oven. Yeah, there was no room for dinner after that.
If you can restrain yourself from eating it fresh out of the oven, this is the perfect dessert to bring to a party or fall football get together. The apples are tart, the cake is moist and the caramel and pecans make it delicious!
First up shred your apples. I like to use granny smith, but any variety that are good for baking are great. Pat down in the bottom of a greased spring form pan.
Pour the spice cake batter over top.
Bake until golden brown, remove from the oven and top with caramel sauce.
Top with pecans and pop it back in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes…
eat the whole thing while piping hot and gooey…
Ok, I don’t really recommend that, but it is that good!
Caramel Apple Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 pound Granny Smith apples peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cake - Grease and lightly flour a 9 in spring form pan, place shredded apples in the bottom. In a bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, milk, eggs and vegetable oil until smooth. Pour on top of apples. Place cake pan on top of a cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cake is baking make the caramel sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat melt butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt. Stir frequently cooking for 7 - 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Add vanilla. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove cake from oven and pour cooled caramel sauce over top of cake, top with pecans. Bake for 15 minutes more.
- Let cool slightly and remove outer spring form. Enjoy!