Outdoor Mudroom and Buffet – A peek at my backyard

Ahh, it is finally summertime here at The Lily Pad Cottage – it took it’s sweet time getting here in Michigan, but it’s finally here.  There have been boat rides, skiing, swimming, bonfires (well bonfire attempts, let’s just say the Mr. never made it as a boy scout) and relaxing in the sun.   Along with all the summer fun comes flip flops, sunscreen, sand toys and a million other things that I need to find a home for.  So today I’m sharing our little outdoor mudroom and buffet area – and yay I’m day 11 in the Summer Celebration Series with these other amazing bloggers.

We have had this bakers rack in our garage in our last 3 houses, collecting dust and shoes and other random things.  Once it was the center of organization and cuteness – back when we were newly married and living in Chicago, in our 500 sq foot apartment, with 2 kitchen cabinets…it was in fact the only cute thing in our apartment (besides the Mr.).

Outdoor Buffet - www.thelilypadcottage.comI decided it had sat in the garage long enough and was ready to make it’s debut in the backyard.  Best. Decision. Ever.  This thing is soooo handy, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before!

Outdoor Buffer and Mudroom - www.thelilypadcottage.comI removed the rack off the top that all the pots and pans used to hang on, and stained and polyurethaned the butcher block.  I tucked it under the towel rack I made out of an old piece of dock and my favorite outdoor clock from Pottery Barn.  Now it is command central outside!

Outdoor Buffet

We keep all our sunglasses in the basket hanging off the rack and our towels, hats, life jackets, wet suits you name it – it’s usually hanging on there.

Towel Rack

Outdoor BuffetIt also makes a great little buffet to set out drinks or snacks when we are entertaining.

Outdoor Buffet

My favorite part is all the added storage for the 10,000 things you need to have to keep kids entertained in the summer. Behind door Number 1 – I keep all our sunscreen, Number 2 – bubbles, frisbees and sand toys, Number 3 – life jackets and Number 4 – citronella candles and bug spray.  All the summer essentials!

Outdoor BuffetI call it our little outdoor mudroom, it is just so handy and cute.  So glad I rescued this thing from the garage!

Outdoor MudroomOh and here’s a sneak peak at the rest of the backyard…

My backyard - www.thelilypadcottage.comI will be sharing the rest of my backyard tour next week so I hope you stop back to check it out. Don’t forget to check out all the other wonderful bloggers participating in the Summer Celebration Series.  You can check out Taryn’s cute 4th of July Wreath from Design, Dining and Diapers here.

Sharing at Ella Claire

1. Jamie says

What a great idea with the basket for the sunglasses. I’m going to do that inside I think because we’re always losing our sunglasses. It looks great!

This looks adorable. And your backyard…every time I see it I’m transported back to my childhood summers! I’m pretty sure I have that exact baker’s rack, used to be in my apartment kitchen too and now holds laundry supplies in the basement :)

3. April Hoff says

This is the cutest little organization area! Love it!!! What a great post to end our Summer Celebration Series! :)

OMG look at that beautiful view and that dock right on the water, you lucky girl you! I love what you decided to do with the bakers rack. I bet it sure does come in handy.

oh Kelly this just looks like SUMMER! I love that you turned a baker’s rack into an outdoor mudroom. So simple and looks amazing! I’m so inspired – I need one of these myself! Thanks so much for sharing and rounding out our Summer Celebration Series. So much fun!

How lucky you are to live on the water! Gorgeous view and so much fun during the warm months! Love your little rack for stashing everything! Really attractive and so useful! Enjoy! Hugs, Leena

7. Shirley says

Where did you get your crates? I love those and wish I could find some of them. You have a beautiful yard and thanks for sharing.

8. Louise says

So cute! Once again Kelly, you have come up with a wonderful idea and so creative! So proud to be your aunt!!

Oh my word! Kelly your backyard is incredible!!! I’m on my way over to take a dip in the lake ok? ;-) I seriously LOVE the bakers rack turned buffet and I have the same exact one in our garage. It may be making it’s way out to the deck this summer!

LOVE it! How perfect to store all of those outdoor things! P.S. You have me absolutely convinced that we need to build our next home on a lake. 100% convinced!

11. Jade says

Late to the party…found project through Pinterest ! Looking to buy rack like this one and all the ones I have found are 14 inches deep and craft crates are 18. Where did you get the wooden baskets if you don’t mind me asking?

12. mandy says

Love this…wondering if you have any issues with rust on the metal? I have this same rack and want to put it on our new patio. My husband is worried about it rusting on the patio. thanks!

Funny you said this, I just noticed today that it is rusting a bit after 2 years outside, I’m thinking of spray painting the rack this week!

• Carly says

I have the same rack and never thought to use it outside and put it the basement for storage instead, only for it to be empty a year later. Came across this picture on Pinterest and thought it would be prefect storage for my medium sized deck. I’m wondering though, where did you buy the crates and did you paint them yourself? Did you treat them for being outside, and if so, what did you use? I’m not much of a DIYer, as I’m not very crafty, but I would love to give this a try.

Hi Carly! I bought the crates at Michaels and I sprayed them out paint sprayer when I was painting our outdoor furniture. I used outdoor paint and made sure to cover them well. They seem to be holding up great!