My Grandma’s Best Lasagna Recipe
This week I’m feeling full! I made my Grandma’s lasagna this week for dinner, and it is the best lasagna recipe ever. I actually made it a few weeks ago and shared it on instagram stories – I had a zillion dm’s asking for the recipe, so I’m finally, finally, getting it on the blog today. I had to get some major family clearance to share this on the blog, and I promise it’s the real deal recipe. Not how my Grandma used to give out a recipe, but leave out a few ingredients, so your’s would never taste quite as good as hers :)
Let’s pretend I took better looking photos than this, rather than in the middle of dinner yelling “wait don’t put that in your mouth, I forgot I was going to blog this!!” and stopping everything and throwing it on the table and snapping 5 photos. Oh the therapy my kids will need…
Let me just state for the record this is not a throw together for a weeknight meal kind of recipe. This is a cozy all day, Saturday project, from scratch, kind of recipe. BUT it’s so worth it. Bonus it makes two 9×13 pans or three 9×9 pans. I like to make the three 9×9 pans for our family of four and freeze two of them. That way I have an easy and delicious dinner waiting for me in the freezer for a busy week. Actually this time around, I made a double batch and gave a few away and froze four pans.
Or if you just want a delicious pasta sauce, I have made the sauce portion alone before and froze it in two cup bags for spaghetti nights too! One more thing if you are local and really want it to taste right, you need to go to Russo’s Italian Deli in Grand Rapids and use their sausage, cheeses and spices if you want it to be perfect.
Best Lasagna Recipe
- 2 lbs bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 5 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp basil
- 30 oz tomato paste
- 60 oz water
- 1 lb box of lasagna noodles cooked according to box instructions
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 lbs mozzarella sliced thin not shredded
- 1/4 lb finely grated parmesan cheese
- SAUCE : Brown sausage in a large sauce pot.
- Add onion and celery and cook until soft, 5 - 10 min.
- Add garlic, parsley, salt, sugar, basil, tomato paste and water.
- Bring to a boil, Simmer on low 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Slightly cover bottom of pans with sauce (either 2 9x13 pans or 3 9x9 pans).
- Layer cooked lasagna noodles.
- Take a slice of mozzarella and using a butter knife spread a thin layer of ricotta on each slice and cover noodles.
- Cover with a layer of sauce.
- Repeat these layers until you fill the pan.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and back at 325 for 45 min let rest 10 min.
- If you are going to freeze the pans don't add the parmesan on top before you freeze. Add it right before you bake it.
- If frozen bake at 325 about 75 min or until bubbling throughout.
It’s been a while since I shared a recipe, but if you would like to check out a few of my other favorite’s see them here!