I think I just heard all children everywhere screaming at the mere mention of brussel sprouts, and ok this recipe may not be for your pickiest of eaters, but I say what better way to make those tiny green vegetables tasty than to make them into Brussel Sprout Sweet Potato Fries?
That’s right I popped them in my deep fryer and I’m not apologizing, they were delicious! A local restaurant has an appetizer like this on their menu every once in a while and the Mr. and I love it. I know it sounds a like a lot going on, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, cilantro aioli and balsamic reduction? I promise it all blends together so well. I almost didn’t get these photos taken because the Mr. was shoveling these in his mouth on Sunday faster than I could make them.
Now I know deep frying scares some people and makes you think you need to kiss your new years resolutions goodbye, but not to worry. You can totally adapt this recipe by roasting them in the oven, you could even go super healthy and make the dip with greek yogurt instead of mayo.
Or skip the dip altogether and this is a totally paleo diet friendly recipe. Another tip, you could totally cheat and use a bag of frozen sweet potato fries too. So many ways to switch this one up!
Brussel Sprout Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into thin strips, soak in ice water and pat dry when ready to use
- 1 bag of brussel sprouts chopped in half
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- balsamic reduction you can buy this pre made at specialty stores, or just reduce some balsamic vinegar in a pan until it thickens slightly
- 1/4 C mayo
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat oil to approximately 375 degrees.
- While the oil is heating mix mayo, lemon juice, and cilantro.
- Fry potatoes and brussel sprouts in small batches until golden brown 3-6 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel and toss with salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the fries. Serve with the dip and enjoy!
- Alternate version - Toss sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts in olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at 425 until golden brown.