These cheesy bacon gruyere twice bake potatoes are the perfect side dish to any meal.
When I was a little girl I loved to go to my grandparents house for Sunday dinners. They lived on lake Michigan, so we would eat great food and then go splash on the beach – it doesn’t get much better than that when you’re a kid.
My grandma was an amazing cook and I especially loved her twice baked potatoes. While the original version has cheddar, parmesan and tomatoes, I’ve probably made them 100 different ways.
Since my grandma passed, my dad has perfected the art of her twice baked potatoes. Lucky for you he has shared his potato making skills with me – although this cheesy bacon version is all my own. I’m stepping it up a bit with gooey gruyere, caramelized shallots, and of course bacon!
I still love the original, but holy moly these are SO good! So good in fact, you’ll notice only 3 potatoes made it in the photos…
the 4th was already in the Mr.’s stomach before I even got my camera out.
These are perfect for entertaining since you can make them up the day before and just pop them in the oven for the 2nd baking.
Try these out the next time you grill a steak or ribs, or use my basic recipe and stuff them with your own combination of ingredients. You really can’t screw this recipe up!
Cheesy Bacon Gruyere Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 potatoes
- 5 slices of cooked crumbled bacon
- 3/4 C Gruyere cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bake potatoes at 375 for an hour or until cooked completely thru.
- While the potatoes are cooking, sautee the shallot and garlic in the butter until caramelized. Let cool slightly, slice tops off and carefully scoop out the inside of the potato leaving the skin intact.
- In a bowl mix the cooked potato, sour cream, bacon, shallot/garlic mixture, and gruyere. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff back into the potato skins, top with extra gruyere.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until melty and delicious.