Sunday was the perfect Michigan fall day. Church, followed by a hike in the crunchy leaves, and this easy beef chili recipe simmering on the stove. I have to admit, I used to not be a big chili fan, but this recipe changed my mind. It’s based on my father-in-law’s recipe with a few little tweaks I’ve made along the way.
This beef chili recipe is best to make on a weekend as it needs to simmer for about 4 hours. I promise it’s worth the wait. Bonus – it freezes really well and leftovers the next day are even better.
Even though it cooks for a long time this recipe is really easy. The pickled banana peppers are the secret ingredient!
We like to top ours with shredded cheese and sour cream. Cornbread is a must too! Although tortilla chips crumbled on top will do in a pinch as well.
Easy Beef Chili
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 2 red peppers diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 14.5 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz jar banana peppers drained, and diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can light kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can dark kidney beans
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Brown ground beef, onions, and red peppers until fully cooked and vegetables are softened.
- Drain fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, spices, Pepperoncini.
- Add beans and their liquid.
- Let simmer for 4 hours semi- covered.
- Top with sour cream and cheese – enjoy!
This beef chili recipe is easy to adjust the spiciness level. You can easily up the chili powder or cayenne. Or even top with hot sauce when serving. This level of spice is perfect for my kids, but the Mr. likes to kick it up a bit with some added hot sauce at the end.
Try some of my other favorite cozy fall meal ideas –