Soup season is upon us and I’m sharing one of my favorite easy recipes today. My kid’s both love my Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It’s perfect to have on hand for busy weeknights. This soup has all the comfort of a chicken pot pie, but without the fuss of making and baking a crust.
My kid’s love this served with homemade biscuits (recipe below) or if I’m in a hurry, store bought rolls are great too. You could bake some puff pastry to put on top as well, any kind of bread works!
I like to use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, or a package of roasted chicken from Traders Joe’s works too. You could even use frozen vegetables to make this even quicker!
You can also make this ahead and reheat it if need be. This chicken pot pie soup is really rich and creamy, but can easily be made dairy free. I substitute dairy free butter and coconut milk for my daughter and no one can even tell the difference!
I like to crumble a biscuit right into my soup – yum!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups roasted chicken, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add celery, onion, and carrots. Cook until softened about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk in with the vegetables. Cook another 3 minutes while stirring.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken, frozen peas, and seasonings. Simmer another 10 minutes until the chicken and peas are warmed through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rolls, bread, or biscuits
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp cold butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 475
- Mix milk and vinegar in a measuring cup or small bowl, allow to sit
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and sugar,
- Using a pastry blender mix in the cold diced butter until a pebbly sandlike texture.
- Add milk mixture and stir until just barely combined.
- Dump the mixture out onto a floured surface and fold your dough several times over. Do not overwork the dough! It should still be a bit crumbly. Pat/gently roll the dough out until it's about 1/2 thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter cut out biscuits, usually 8-10 depending on the size of your biscuit cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
This soup is such a great meal for a cozy fall night!
Checkout some of my other favorite fall recipes below.