Vintage Kids Desk turned Pink Crafting Goodness

If you follow me on instagram you know a few weeks back I scored these awesome old kids desks for $10 a piece! I know right?

kids desk

Best find ever! Little man’s desk looks kind of perfect in his room just the way it is but my favorite girly was having none of the blue for her room.

“Why would you buy me a dirty BLUE desk mom?  That doesn’t go at all!” oh ye of little faith…

VIntage Desk Makeover

I left it as is for a while trying to decide what to do with it and my daughter steered clear of it preferring to craft in her “office” (the playroom closet) instead. I finally contacted her “assistant” (a pink teddy bear named Kenzie) and was able to get a meeting in her “office” long enough to discuss paint color options for the offending old blue desk. She was really torn between, gold, pink or purple sparkle rainbow (!).

Well as much as I love a purple sparkle rainbow…we went with Ballet Slipper from Krylon and Gold Metallic spray paint by Rustoleum.

VIntage desk Makeover

Now it is the perfect girly desk, fit for a crafting diva like my girl.

Cute Little Girls Desk

But what new office is complete without an inspiration board and place to display your works of art?

Girls Bulletin Board

So, I took the old frames that use to hang above her bed, painted them white and made little bulletin boards out of them. I cut a piece of scrap wood to the right size and wrapped it in batting. Then covered the whole thing with this totally fun pink polka dot burlap fabric from JoAnn Fabric.

Girls Bulletin Board

Next I hit up the dollar bin at Target and scored these cute giant pushpins and paper clips, a few of them even got the gold spray paint treatment too.

Girls Bulletin Board

Girls Bulletin Board

I made a couple fun little signs to display with painted cardstock and some Thickers, (think stickers, but thicker, hence the name…) also from JoAnn.

Shine Bright

Oh and her cute crafting supply jars are just old jars I had in the cabinet which I spray painted white and gold.

Painted Mason Jars

Painted Mason Jars

The final verdict from my diva –

“This is the prettiest desk ever, it’s so shiny and gold!  Very Fancy Nancy mom!”

Girls Crafting Desk

Which is basically the highest compliment any 6 year old girl can give :)

I’m about this close to being done in here and can’t wait to show you all the full room reveal, hopefully next week!

Sharing at Liz Marie Blog

Tater Tots and Jello

Comments

1. Carol says

What a great deal of love and care was shown in this room. Your little ‘lady’ is lucky to have such a talented mother.

Kelly,

This turned out so CUTE!!! I especially love how you made the wall accessories. I love the cork boards and think the polkadots make the whole board. She is one lucky lady.

So glad your daughter liked the room – it is darling and so very girly. The wall accessories are really cute. She will spend many many hours in there. Terrific job.
    Have a great week.
    Mary

Kelly, this is creative and how I remember those desks. I agree with your girly girl that she couldn’t have that blue desk, LOL. I love what you have done with this project. That fabric from JoAnn’s is adorable. I can’t wait to get decorating our new house.

Cynthia

Hi Kelly,
    It looks like the top of the desk is white, is that right? What exactly was your paint process? I’m guessing you primed as well? Or used a sealer after painting? More info would be much appreciated. I’ve never seen a prettier girls desk. Thanks for posting!

I LOVE how this turned out! I bought my daughter a school district surplus desk as well and have been hunting for some color inspiration to make it more beautiful. LOVE how this turned out, I bet my daughter will want to use the same colors when I show her. :)

Love this! Came across it on Pinterest last week and just snagged a similar desk and chair for my daughter! I’m off to find some spray paint! :) Thanks so much for the inspiration!

8. Alex says

Hey Kelli! I need some tips for spray painting — just found the same desk and attempted to spray paint it for my little girl but the spray paint looks very uneven — any tips ? Thanks!

9. Melissa Smith says

I love this room! Could you please share the wall color? Forgive me if you already have and I just didn’t see it. Thanks!!

Hi Melissa I can’t think of it off the top of my head but if you go to the search box on my site and type paint colors it should bring up a whole paint color post!

10. Suzanne says

Love this! I just scored a similar desk on Craigslist for $5 and am excited to refinish it for my 4 year old daughter who loves art! What kind of paint did you use for the top to get it so smooth? Is it spray paint, or a lacquer? It looks so smooth; I want to get hers smooth as well for coloring and the top is in pretty rough shape as it is. Thanks in advance!

Hey Suzanne, the top of mine was in pretty good shape so I just used good ole spray paint! Maybe if yours is ruff you could give it a light sand first? My daughter colors hers all the time and it wipes right off with magic eraser now.

Trackbacks