You guys, I love chicken and waffles, like LOVE. One of my favorite restaurants in nearby Grand Rapids is The Green Well, and their version of chicken waffles is my favorite. If you are local check it out, although go quick because they change their menu seasonally, so it will be gone soon. These Chicken and Cornbread waffles aren’t your typical fried chicken recipe. The sweet potato hash really makes all the difference.
Not to worry though I made my own version of chicken and cornbread waffles that will have you licking your fingers! Bonus – it’s way healthier than your typical version of chicken and waffles, no deep frying and a huge helping of veggies.
Healthier Chicken and Waffles
Yum! The Mr. and I may have stood over the stove, waffles in hand, fighting over the last bit of sweet potato hash…
not my proudest moment :)
If you like this recipe, you can check out what else I’ve been cooking up in the kitchen on my recipe page here.
Chicken and Cornbread Waffles with Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 roasted chicken breast chopped (I cheated and got a roasted whole chicken from the store)
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup more to drizzle
- salt and pepper
- 1 box jiffy cornbread mix follow directions on the package or make your own favorite cornbread batter
- Make cornbread mix (or your favorite homemade recipe) according to the box directions, place in your waffle maker and cook like you would normally make waffles. I like to make all my waffles first and keep them warm in oven until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a pan and sauté the onions and sweet potatoes on medium for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Add chicken broth and spinach, cook until the spinach wilts down about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook another minute or two until the chicken is warmed.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, salt and pepper to taste.
- Top cornbread waffles with sweet potato hash mixture and drizzle with more syrup if desired.
These delicious chicken and cornbread waffles with sweet potato hash are sure to be a crowd pleaser with your family.