This Southwestern Egg Roll Dip with wonton chips is the perfect recipe to make on game day or any day!
My recipe this time is a fun twist on a southwestern egg roll, have you had them before? They are so good! They have all sorts of healthy veggies inside with a southwestern kick.
They are usually served with a creamy avocado ranch dressing too. BUT they are a ton of work, making the filling, rolling all the egg rolls, cooking them, making the dip. Who has time for that on game day? I thought why not just toss everything together in a bowl and make it a dip? So here you have it, Southwestern Egg Roll Dip! And instead of serving it with chips, why not fried wonton strips so you still get that good egg roll crunch. Yup, way less work!
You don’t even have to feel too guilty about eating these because they are packed with veggies and chicken. If you want to make them even more figure friendly (although I feel watching the super bowl really calls for stretchy pants and a vacation from the diet) you can bake the wonton strips in the oven and substitute the ranch dressing for some greek yogurt mixed with a packet of ranch dressing mix.
You can serve the dip in a big bowl with the wonton chips, or do what I did and put a little scoop on each chip. Grab and go, perfect for serving a big crowd.
Game Day Appetizer Recipe
Southwestern Egg Roll Dip
- 1 cooked cubed chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store)
- 1/2 bag frozen corn
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 C monterrey cheese
- 2 minced green onions
- 1/2 box frozen spinach thawed and drained well
- 1 seeded diced jalepeno
- package of wontons I used the square kind
- 3/4 C ranch dressing
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Mix chicken, corn, beans, red pepper, green onion, spinach, cheese, and jalepeno in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine ranch dressing, lime juice, cumin, chili powder. cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Smash the avocado in with the dressing and pour over mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over med/hi heat.
- Fry wonton strips a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve as a dip, or scoop out a bit of the dip onto each wonton. Enjoy!